[Feature request] Make the router resolve reverse DNS queries if update-dns is enable in DHCP

fl4co

Question

Hello, I'd like to request the following feature.

When executing

ip dhcp pool $POOL_NAME update-dns

the Keenetic's DNS server will add a record for devices that are assigned an IP address via DHCP, so every device with a private IP in the LAN will have an A record with the hostname passed via DHCP.

It would be great if the Keenetic could add a reverse DNS record, so that private IP addresses would be pointed to the DNS name.

I'm asking this because I use Pi-Hole to block ads as my DNS server, but I'd like to keep using the Keenetic as a DHCP server. Doing this makes it impossible for Pi-Hole to display the clients' names. There is an option in Pi-Hole called "conditional forwarding" that solves this problem by making reverse DNS queries to the router in order to discover the clients' names, but as of now this doesn't work with the Keenetic because it does not respond to reverse DNS queries.

• Thanks 1

5 answers to this question

8 минут назад, fl4co сказал:

When executing

the Keenetic's DNS server will add a record for devices that are assigned an IP address via DHCP, so every device with a private IP in the LAN will have an A record with the hostname passed via DHCP.

It would be great if the Keenetic could add a reverse DNS record, so that private IP addresses would be pointed to the DNS name.

I'm asking this because I use Pi-Hole to block ads as my DNS server, but I'd like to keep using the Keenetic as a DHCP server. Doing this makes it impossible for Pi-Hole to display the clients' names. There is an option in Pi-Hole called "conditional forwarding" that solves this problem by making reverse DNS queries to the router in order to discover the clients' names, but as of now this doesn't work with the Keenetic because it does not respond to reverse DNS queries.

We put this in our backlog, thanks.

• Thanks 1

В 20.04.2021 в 14:37, fl4co сказал:

When executing

Plz try version 3.7.A.11, it was implemented.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 час назад, Le ecureuil сказал:

Plz try version 3.7.A.11, it was implemented.

Tested, works on my setup

• Upvote 1