Request: Selecting DNS protocol in NextDNS

Delka

Question

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Le ecureuil said:

We don't support DoQ for now (as well as NextDNS). DNS-over-HTTP/3 is not supported as there is no final RFC for HTTP/3.

Can you describe your needs in DoT over DoH? It seems that there is none.

As you can see (Screenshot 6) there is DoH and DoT address, im on developer channel on Keenetic and im using NextDNS configuration. My connections are always on "DoH" (screenshot 7). I don't want to use DoH, i just want to use DoT. I think it would be great if there was a menu where I could set this (like example on screenshot 8).

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

8 часов назад, Delka сказал:

As you can see (Screenshot 6) there is DoH and DoT address, im on developer channel on Keenetic and im using NextDNS configuration. My connections are always on "DoH" (screenshot 7). I don't want to use DoH, i just want to use DoT. I think it would be great if there was a menu where I could set this (like example on screenshot 8).

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

"Don't want" is not a valid reason. I don't want on the other hand, so what?

Will any real considerations appear?

3 hours ago, Le ecureuil said:

"Don't want" is not a valid reason. I don't want on the other hand, so what?

Will any real considerations appear?

If you dont want to use only DoT - then okay, dont fuck with the settings. If i want to use only DoT -  there is nothing i could do rn.

As you can see, NextDNS gives us separate DNS addresses, leaving the choice of which DNS protocol we want to use. But we cant choose that with this new NextDNS update - internet safety, filtering tab.

Besides, i can use which DNS protocol I want with DDNS and DoT or DoH settings, without this "NextDNS update".

If I "DONT WANT TO" use DoH, i just enable DoT from system components, entering my NextDNS DoT address and i use only DoT.

So whats the point of "NextDNS update" and "Internet Safety - filtering tab" if i cant decide to which DNS protocol i will use? Is it just to remove the DDNS requirement? I was able to choose the DNS protocol as I my ass wanted even before this update.

"You can't choose the DNS protocol you want, but I've saved you the hassle of using DDNS." Is that all?

Edited by Delka
  • Y'r wrong 1

В 04.04.2022 в 01:47, Delka сказал:

If you dont want to use only DoT - then okay, dont fuck with the settings. If i want to use only DoT -  there is nothing i could do rn.

As you can see, NextDNS gives us separate DNS addresses, leaving the choice of which DNS protocol we want to use. But we cant choose that with this new NextDNS update - internet safety, filtering tab.

Besides, i can use which DNS protocol I want with DDNS and DoT or DoH settings, without this "NextDNS update".

If I "DONT WANT TO" use DoH, i just enable DoT from system components, entering my NextDNS DoT address and i use only DoT.

So whats the point of "NextDNS update" and "Internet Safety - filtering tab" if i cant decide to which DNS protocol i will use? Is it just to remove the DDNS requirement? I was able to choose the DNS protocol as I my ass wanted even before this update.

"You can't choose the DNS protocol you want, but I've saved you the hassle of using DDNS." Is that all?

I still can't see any reasonable point for choosing DoT over DoH.

Will disclosure some facts behind implementation. We discussed protocols selection and fallback with NextDNS team and they advised us to stuck on DoH only, as it provides best possible service over others with neglectible expense. That's the point from authors of the NextDNS, and I totally agree with them. Yes, they support many other protocols, but as legacy fallback with degradation of service quality.

So I will ask you again: is there any reasonable point for DoT over DoH?

• Thanks 2