MAP-E

Simone

Question

Today the French mobile operator Free/Iliad, launched its fiber offering in Italy, similar to Sky for the lack of IPv4 the Iliad fiber uses MAP-E and a 4in6 tunnel (rfc2473). 

In France it uses since 2015 in non-densely populated areas a version of MAP-E a moment acerbic apparently from French forums, also often referred to as 4rd (although it has nothing to do with RFC 7600), as configuration from DHCPv6 does not seem possible.

The operator offers very high speeds in terms of Gbps, despite this in areas where the deployment of ftth is older offers the classic speed of 1Gbps. A keenetic router as long as it works well could be a good solution for cities where there is the maximum limit of 1Gbps (like Milan, Turin and Bologna, 3 of the most important cities in Italy).

From the guides for the free router it seems that it is possible to configure IPv4 even without MAP-E support, most likely it is part of a separate pool to offer IP 1:1 to those who request it, through a 4in6 tunnel (rfc2473). If the router supports MAP-E in Italy, at least from the first information it seems that it can be configured by DHCPv6 (unlike in France).

From early February we will know more information about IPv4 share ratio and other details about MAP-E, like if it uses many disjointed ranges like Sky or few contiguous ranges like in France.

I wanted to know if along with MAP-T development there is MAP-E development, and if keenetic support 4in6 tunnels (rfc2473).

If I am not mistaken MAP-E is also used in Japan with a share of 1:256.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, vst said:

By the way, we have implemented map-t (Sky 1:16), but so far only in pre-alpha versions.

I am very happy with this information, then I will get a Keenetic to try it ASAP. 

Can you get information on the presence or absence of hardware acceleration and performance?

1 hour ago, vst said:

It seems that statically configurable 4v6 is faster to implement than MAP-E.

I thought so, since it seems to be compatible with a high number of devices anyway.

1 hour ago, vst said:

Both MAP-E, 4in6 are on our TODO list right after MAP-T.

Very good!

Edited by Simone
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 2:52 AM, Simone said:

Can you get information on the presence or absence of hardware acceleration and performance?

New chipsets (not MT7621, MT7628) support hardware acceleration, but it's too early for us to talk about their work.

However, we have a fairly good software acceleration module...

23 minutes ago, vst said:

New chipsets (not MT7621, MT7628) support hardware acceleration, but it's too early for us to talk about their work.

However, we have a fairly good software acceleration module...

New chipsets like MT7622B (which is not released in Europe)? or as products not yet released with wifi 6 (not even in russia)?

I knew that broadcom had a hardware-accelerated implementation of MAP-T, but it was not so well working according to Sky Italia.

I'm happy for the software acceleration.

It would still be interesting to see if you get at least 500 Mbps with MAP-T.