Large files writing fail via SMB or FTP

Nick N.

Question

Hi

Viva (KN-1910), extrenal USB drive NTFS, 3.8.2

Write large files (more than 100GB) to External Drive (NTFS or ExFat) fails. 

I have tested three drives (2TB external, 500GB and 1TB internal in usb 2.0 box)

Log message:

tntfs error (device sda1, pid 537): ntfs_write_end(): Write failed (orig copied 1140, len 4096, actual copied 0).

10 answers to this question

generally formatting the disks in NTFS does not allow you to write files larger than 4 Gb, format the disk connected to the modem / router and make it GPT, you will see that all limits will disappear, as well as errors.

В 27.07.2022 в 01:50, PasKy сказал:

generally formatting the disks in NTFS does not allow you to write files larger than 4 Gb, format the disk connected to the modem / router and make it GPT, you will see that all limits will disappear, as well as errors.

I have GPT disk and NTFS partition. From PC all working fine, from router working fine for files less then 100GB

Edited by Nick N.

12 hours ago, Nick N. said:

I have GPT disk and NTFS partition. From PC all working fine, from router working fine for files less then 100GB

It is possible that they have placed restrictions on the modem without respecting the specifications?

Edited by PasKy

I had to connect the HDD to Synology. A lot of broken files when copying via SMB or FTP. And even worse is that there are no problems when copying, but you will already know by the fact of broken files

I have 3 different HDDs of different sizes (500GB, 2TB and 5TB). Tried different systems, EXT3 or NTFS, still problems

15 hours ago, Nick N. said:

... the problem that arises and that the files are corrupted regardless of the NTFS or EXT * formatting?
Can I ask you if the formatting was carried out while the disk was connected to the modem, or did you format them with external drives always via USB?

Edited by PasKy

В 28.08.2022 в 02:43, PasKy сказал:

... the problem that arises and that the files are corrupted regardless of the NTFS or EXT * formatting?

Regardless. ExtFat I tested shortly, now all my disk have NTFS. 

The problem is more common on large files. Files larger than 100GB cannot be written at all without damage via SMB or FTP.

В 28.08.2022 в 02:43, PasKy сказал:

Can I ask you if the formatting was carried out while the disk was connected to the modem, or did you format them with external drives always via USB?

I formatted all disk on my Notebook via standart windows functions. 

On 8/29/2022 at 7:14 PM, Nick N. said:

Regardless. ExtFat I tested shortly, now all my disk have NTFS. 

The problem is more common on large files. Files larger than 100GB cannot be written at all without damage via SMB or FTP.

I formatted all disk on my Notebook via standart windows functions. 

However it seems that from version 3.9A2 (last 3.9A7) they have removed a limitation, i.e. that of writing files greater than 4 GigaByte from this version, they can be written without problems, they have not reported the limit that can be reached as a whole as a single file, and personally I do not have never written to the disk connected to the router such a large file, it may be that the corruption of the files was also due to this limit which has now been removed. To check you can always do a test by writing a file larger than 4 Gb and check if this time it is corrupt.

Edited by PasKy

В 31.08.2022 в 01:50, PasKy сказал:

However it seems that from version 3.9A2 (last 3.9A7) they have removed a limitation, i.e. that of writing files greater than 4 GigaByte from this version, they can be written without problems, they have not reported the limit that can be reached as a whole as a single file, and personally I do not have never written to the disk connected to the router such a large file, it may be that the corruption of the files was also due to this limit which has now been removed. To check you can always do a test by writing a file larger than 4 Gb and check if this time it is corrupt.

Not working in 3.9A2 with NTFS

I run bittorent download + copy large file via SMB. Errors:

Сен 1 08:44:38
kernel
tntfs error (device sdb1, pid 544): ntfs_write_end(): Write failed (orig copied 1628, len 4096, actual copied 0).
Сен 1 08:44:43
kernel
tntfs error (device sdb1, pid 544): ntfs_write_end(): Write failed (orig copied 3980, len 4096, actual copied 0).
Сен 1 08:46:02
kernel
tntfs error (device sdb1, pid 544): ntfs_write_end(): Write failed (orig copied 3980, len 4096, actual copied 0).
Сен 1 08:47:11
kernel
tntfs error (device sdb1, pid 544): ntfs_write_end(): Write failed (orig copied 168, len 4096, actual copied 0).
Сен 1 08:47:17
kernel
tntfs error (device sdb1, pid 544): ntfs_write_end(): Write failed (orig copied 1628, len 4096, actual copied 0).

ExFat woring fine, but on 5TB external drive cluster size is 512KB, is not good for many small files and fotos

Edited by Nick N.

7 hours ago, Nick N. said:

Not working in 3.9A2 with NTFS

I run bittorent download + copy large file via SMB. Errors:

Сен 1 08:44:38
kernel
Сен 1 08:44:43
kernel
Сен 1 08:46:02
kernel
Сен 1 08:47:11
kernel
tntfs error (device sdb1, pid 544): ntfs_write_end(): Write failed (orig copied 168, len 4096, actual copied 0).
Сен 1 08:47:17
kernel

ExFat woring fine, but on 5TB external drive cluster size is 512KB, is not good for many small files and fotos

We need to report the problem to the developers and ask if it is possible to fix this problem as well or are there limitations of the solutions they implement with SMB, FTP and other protocols.