The Bufferbloat Problem

PriSonerS61

Question

I am using tplink td-w9970v3 (bridge) + keenetic giga (kn1010).

Ntce/Qos works fine for the download side, but not for the upload. And when I upload it, the ping rises to +500 +1000ms.

I forwarded this to keenetic and they briefly said:

"Ntce/qos cannot give the desired result because there is another device in front of Keenetic. They asked me to limit the upload speed"

Request #571581

Is there anything else I can do?

9 answers to this question

Make sure you run KeeneticOS 3.8 (Dev channel)

1. Create a separate connection policy.

2. Choose the connection to your modem.

3. Limit the speed for this connection as 15/16 of the ISP speed. In the example below, I assume the speed provided by the ISP is 20 Mbps for download and 2 Mbps for upload. Do not pick the Adaptive option (not fully implemented yet).

image.thumb.png.f8e9d8470196c7be4262b857ad1346fb.png

4. Bind ALL your registered and unregistered devices to the newly created connection policy.

image.thumb.png.09de8ccbb3a46da89a0018f9279dee61.png

5. Install and enable traffic classification and IntelliQoS.

image.thumb.png.340eb8381ba3fc0a8c55a1135bc350e2.png

6. Disable hardware network accelerator.

image.thumb.png.adc2c1cb09b53ce3895959ecfc3057ec.png

Now you are good to go. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/8/2022 at 4:37 PM, Cem said:

I have tried this. Bufferbloat test (specially on upload side) has improved dramatically but there is a problem with classification with GeForce Now which is tagged as Other where it should be classified as Gaming. How do I fix that?

And what are the other tips I can improve cloud gaming with my Keenetic Hero DSL modem? 

Choose a registration record of your gaming computer and assign the target Service class. In this case, all Uncategorized traffic from this host will have selected service class. If GeForce Now traffic is Uncategorized, it will have the service class you defined.

image.thumb.png.4327549829da1d37436c1d567d6d2473.png

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:06 PM, MedMax said:

Make sure you run KeeneticOS 3.8 (Dev channel)

1. Create a separate connection policy.

2. Choose the connection to your modem.

3. Limit the speed for this connection as 15/16 of the ISP speed. In the example below, I assume the speed provided by the ISP is 20 Mbps for download and 2 Mbps for upload. Do not pick the Adaptive option (not fully implemented yet).

image.thumb.png.f8e9d8470196c7be4262b857ad1346fb.png

4. Bind ALL your registered and unregistered devices to the newly created connection policy.

image.thumb.png.09de8ccbb3a46da89a0018f9279dee61.png

5. Install and enable traffic classification and IntelliQoS.

image.thumb.png.340eb8381ba3fc0a8c55a1135bc350e2.png

6. Disable hardware network accelerator.

image.thumb.png.adc2c1cb09b53ce3895959ecfc3057ec.png

Now you are good to go. 

Hello,

I have tried this. Bufferbloat test (specially on upload side) has improved dramatically but there is a problem with classification with GeForce Now which is tagged as Other where it should be classified as Gaming. How do I fix that?

And what are the other tips I can improve cloud gaming with my Keenetic Hero DSL modem? 

Thank you in advance.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:37 PM, Cem said:

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Actually, speed limit/shaping for the DSL connection in Connection Priorities won't limit the speed. It doesn't work.

I limit my speed adjusting SNR value though. Doesn't make a big difference.

I am on 3.8.5 version.

13 hours ago, MedMax said:

@Cem GeForce is now in the list of supported applications for 3.8 (Dev channel). There is active development ongoing in classification and prioritization engines, please stay tuned.  

Yes, I have noticed that. Thanks everyone for contributions!

В 12.03.2022 в 15:37, MedMax сказал:

@Cem GeForce is now in the list of supported applications for 3.8 (Dev channel). There is active development ongoing in classification and prioritization engines, please stay tuned.  

Traffic classification does not work correctly, it is physically impossible to get ahead of the category of all applications.

Add the usual QoS that other routers have, such as FireQOS.

Game lunchers for example: Steam, Origin, etc. Classified as games, although there is only downloading games and updates to them. 

While the games themselves are classified as Other. It turns out that during the download of the game in the game luncher download has a higher priority, and the game lowered. As a result, we get not an improved gaming experience, but deterioration.

I suggest you opening a support ticket at help.keenetic.com if you believe Keenetic does not detect the game traffic properly. You need to be specific about which game and platform (e.g., Windows, macOS, iOS, Android) you use.