restrict access to admin GUI to Home segment only

NewOwnerOfKeeneticRouter

Question

A nice security feature would be to restrict access to the admin GUI e.g. to the Home segment when the device is set to access point / extender mode. At the moment, when a client is e.g. logged on to the guest network, they can scan IP addresses and thus get access to the GUI landing page and try passwords. Worse, they know or find out the password.

Other pro equippment usually offers the possibility of a management network or similar. This would decrease the risk e.g. for wireless attacks as the admin would be able to access the device via LAN only. Quite clearly, a webpage randomly asking for ssid/ login credentials would be an attack then.

• Thanks 2

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, NewOwnerOfKeeneticRouter said:

A nice security feature would be to restrict access to the admin GUI e.g. to the Home segment when the device is set to access point / extender mode. At the moment, when a client is e.g. logged on to the guest network, they can scan IP addresses and thus get access to the GUI landing page and try passwords. Worse, they know or find out the password.

Other pro equippment usually offers the possibility of a management network or similar. This would decrease the risk e.g. for wireless attacks as the admin would be able to access the device via LAN only. Quite clearly, a webpage randomly asking for ssid/ login credentials would be an attack then.

You can create a firewall rule for segments.

Example from @PriSonerS61

None of the clients connected to the guest network can reach the gui.

https://prnt.sc/26gyv2y

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NewOwnerOfKeeneticRouter said:

This would work in router mode. Unfortunately, in AP / extender mode one can‘t set any firewall rules nor can one switch the security-level to „protected“

Basically, this settings can be operated on main router/modem?  Can you ignore Mac or subnet to reach gateway ex 192.168.1.1 ?

The feature firewall rules is not available in AP / extender mode. Therefore, access can‘t be restricted. There is no other way to block mac or ip addresses. Apart from that, to make use of a firewall rule seems to be just a workaround for me. In router mode, one can switch a segment to security-level „protected“. That does prevent access to management services of the device. This very same feature in AP / extender mode would be a much better solution. Unfortunately, it is not available in the OS in AP / extender mode right now. This was confirmed by Keenetic support.

My request was already reviewed by Keenetic support. To implement this as a new feature, they suggested  to post it in the forum in order to get additional votes from other users for my request. If there is interest from other users it would help.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NewOwnerOfKeeneticRouter said:

The feature firewall rules is not available in AP / extender mode. Therefore, access can‘t be restricted. There is no other way to block mac or ip addresses. Apart from that, to make use of a firewall rule seems to be just a workaround for me. In router mode, one can switch a segment to security-level „protected“. That does prevent access to management services of the device. This very same feature in AP / extender mode would be a much better solution. Unfortunately, it is not available in the OS in AP / extender mode right now. This was confirmed by Keenetic support.

My request was already reviewed by Keenetic support. To implement this as a new feature, they suggested  to post it in the forum in order to get additional votes from other users for my request. If there is interest from other users it would help.

https://prnt.sc/26hbhh8 & https://prnt.sc/26hbhlv

I guess you want this for repeater/ap mode and with a simple switch? / In this request, devices are evaluated without being included in the mesh system, right?