Can't see Wireguard config in Operating mode "Access point/Extender"

DavidD

Question

Hi everyone,
I don't speak Russian, so I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before.
Basically my KN-1910 is in the "Access Point/Extender" mode and I'd like to use Wireguard. 
Unfortunately, in the web interface there is no option to set it up.
According to the Keenetic docs, the setup can be done in the "Other Connections" category - but that simply doesn't exist in my operating mode.

Am I just too blind to find it or is this simply a bug?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!

Best, David

8 answers to this question

10 hours ago, DavidD said:

Hi everyone,
I don't speak Russian, so I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before.
Basically my KN-1910 is in the "Access Point/Extender" mode and I'd like to use Wireguard. 
Unfortunately, in the web interface there is no option to set it up.
According to the Keenetic docs, the setup can be done in the "Other Connections" category - but that simply doesn't exist in my operating mode.

Am I just too blind to find it or is this simply a bug?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!

Best, David

You need to use Viva/Skipper in router mode for VPN and all connection types.

Edited by KYTECHNGAMING
  • Upvote 1

Hey everyone, thanks for your quick answers. This is what I expected. I'm just wondering: Why is that?
Why shouldn't I use the VPNs in other modes? As far as i can see, there is no technical problem preventing this.

Well, I want to use my Keenetic as the wireguard "server". And access the internal network from the internet. In my use case ther is no need for external VPN providers.
Keenetic even allows me to connect to their web interface remotely in AP/Extender mode. So why not VPN?

25 minutes ago, DavidD said:

Well, I want to use my Keenetic as the wireguard "server". And access the internal network from the internet. In my use case ther is no need for external VPN providers.
Keenetic even allows me to connect to their web interface remotely in AP/Extender mode. So why not VPN?

KeeneticOS is cloud based software/GUI. 

You can access your ap/extender on cloud tunnel.

For your use, it will be more accurate to use wirelessly in WISP mode in router mode or in provider mode in wired mode.

Hm KeeneticOS isn't cloud based. It's running on my own device. The online access to its web GUI it just works through Keenetics dynamic DNS service - basically exposing my GUI to the internet with a URL.

And this works with my Keenetic devices, even though they are in AP mode. So why isn't VPN not accessible in AP mode? There simply isn't a technical reason for it. (for example right now I use an OpenWRT device as an access point and wireguard server. I would like to replace that with the Keenetic AP, though).

I do not want to use it in WISP or provider mode because my main modem and router is a different device with different requirements. I simply can't change my network architecture in this way.

Would love to hear from Keenetic, why they think it makes sense to not expose Wireguard/VPN settings in AP mode.