Request: Statement regarding Russian - Western conflict.

DavidD

Question

Hi Keenetic Team,

I'm very happy with our Keenetic devices and I find the software especially fantastic. Amazing work what the Russian team of NDM Systems is doing there!

However I'm also worried with the international conflict and the resulting tensions and security threads coming along.
This article touches a bit on this:
https://macandegg.com/2022/03/kaspersky-and-keenetic-routers-russian-software-compromiseable/

I find it a bit troubling, that the Github Repo was taken down.

I'd very much appreciate a comment, some explanation or a statement regarding Keenetics stand on the potential problems here.

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

2 hours ago, DavidD said:

Hi Keenetic Team,

I'm very happy with our Keenetic devices and I find the software especially fantastic. Amazing work what the Russian team of NDM Systems is doing there!

However I'm also worried with the international conflict and the resulting tensions and security threads coming along.
This article touches a bit on this:
https://macandegg.com/2022/03/kaspersky-and-keenetic-routers-russian-software-compromiseable/

I'd very much appreciate a comment, some explanation or a statement regarding Keenetics stand on the potential problems here.

Thanks!

Well, this article contains false statements

Github repo is still there

https://github.com/keenetic

And ndmOS was never fuly open source

I have not been using Kaspersky Lab products for a long time, there are some suspicions about their work.
Kinetics' products have not yet been questioned, but if the company wants to work in the European marketplace, they will most likely have to work with auditors regarding checking the software for threats.
Personally, I'm waiting for the division of the cloud service into RU and EU segments.

Edited by SySOPik

On 4/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, DavidD said:

Hi Keenetic Team,

[...]

Hi David,

That was an outdated repository. Kernel 3.4 has its roots in the old Zyxel days. Thank you for pointing out the broken link, we have enabled redirection. The old links are working now.

The official Keenetic's Github with all up-to-date sources (i.e. devices shipped to EU) is located here: https://github.com/keenetic.

The requested Statement is a work in progress, as an official thing we are not discussing it here.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, SySOPik said:

I'm waiting for the division of the cloud service into RU and EU segments.

These segments are divided by design from the very beginning, because the EU personal data must be processed in full compliance with the GDPR. All devices shipped to the EU are configured in such a way that all generated data remain exclusively on the EU territory.

The reason for what you said has historical roots. Some of the devices produced for Russia were sold in the CIS and Ukraine due to identical radio frequency requirements. These days, all of a sudden, it caused inaccessibility of the RU cloud services in your country as a result of protective measures. It took time for us to reconfigure the build service and release updates for the devices. You may follow the discussion on this topic here, but anyway — it does not concern the EU at all.

I have to add, starting from the end of 2021, the sales in Ukraine are served from the European branch office.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:12 PM, admin said:

How can user ensure that his device was switched exclusively to the back-end infrastructure deployed in the European Union? If device was purchased in Ukraine, it could be easily imported from Russia by the store. So, what the algorithm of the infrastructure picking is for the 3.7.4 update and where to check the result?

39 minutes ago, T0ster said:

How can user ensure that his device was switched exclusively to the back-end infrastructure deployed in the European Union?

Check output of `show version`. Make sure it shows country `UA`.

39 minutes ago, T0ster said:

So, what the algorithm of the infrastructure picking is for the 3.7.4 update and where to check the result?

We uploaded official import lists to our cloud servers responsible for Authentication and Licensing (read Internal Service Traffic for more information). If your device is listed, it will receive the new country code from the server. Please contact the official tech support if it doesn't work for you.

44 minutes ago, admin said:

Check output of `show version`. Make sure it shows country `UA`.

We uploaded official import lists to our cloud servers responsible for Authentication and Licensing (read Internal Service Traffic for more information). If your device is listed, it will receive the new country code from the server. Please contact the official tech support if it doesn't work for you.

Where can I find “show version”?

PS: I’ve found, it’s on Web CLI page by typing the command there. 192.168.1.1/a

It shows not country but region. That’s it?

Edited by T0ster