Custom domain for local network

Expanse

Question

Hi, I'm new to Keenetic world and I've just set up my Hero device. I've always used pi-hole to filter my DNS request but now I'm going to replace it with DoH configured in the router.

In pi-hole there were a very useful funcionality: I could set up a domain name for my LAN. In this way, both external and internal access to a service (web service, appliance, etc.) could be done with my personal domain. Now, as far I can see, there's no way to set up a custom domain name for local network.

Could be implemented in future releases?

4 answers to this question

21 hours ago, Expanse said:

Hi, I'm new to Keenetic world and I've just set up my Hero device. I've always used pi-hole to filter my DNS request but now I'm going to replace it with DoH configured in the router.

In pi-hole there were a very useful funcionality: I could set up a domain name for my LAN. In this way, both external and internal access to a service (web service, appliance, etc.) could be done with my personal domain. Now, as far I can see, there's no way to set up a custom domain name for local network.

Could be implemented in future releases?

https://help.keenetic.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000563719-An-example-of-remote-access-to-home-network-resources-with-KeenDNS

Would creating a level 4 domain be sufficient for your request?

4 hours ago, KYTECHNGAMING said:

Yeah, I knew this feature but it isn't what I want. I don't want a 4th level domain with keenetic.link/name/pro domain... I have my personal domain (i.e. mydomain.name) and my service could be reached from the internet trhough a reverse proxy and I have a Let's encrypt certificate for them. But when I access from inside my network I can't use the same domain but I have to use IP. With pi-hole I managed to set up a domain for pi-hole that was mydomain.name, so I could reach my services even from the lan with the seme address...

• Thanks 1

There are some relevant command-line settings for you.

ip dhcp pool {name} domain {domain}
ip dhcp pool {name} update-dns

{name} is normally _WEBADMIN. If your home devices send their hostnames by DHCP, these who options will automatically add DNS records "{hostname}.{domain}" for all such devices.

You can also add static DNS records manually:

ip host some.domain.name {ip-address}

To check which entries are currently active, look for static_a lines in the output of:

show dns-proxy

• Thanks 2

On 10/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, admin said:

There are some relevant command-line settings for you.

ip dhcp pool {name} domain {domain}
ip dhcp pool {name} update-dns

{name} is normally _WEBADMIN. If your home devices send their hostnames by DHCP, these who options will automatically add DNS records "{hostname}.{domain}" for all such devices.

Static works but for the pool it doesn't seem to work. 

Maybe we must also use ip dhcp pool _WEBADMIN update-dns ?