VDSL2 connection always drops even on 15dB SNR

Cem

Question

Hello,

I am using Keenetic Hero DSL (KN-2410) in Turkey.

My ISP is TurkNet and the connection is VDSL2 17a. 

My internet speed/package is 75MB/s download and 8MB/s upload. NMS hardcapped at 79MB/s.

I am 400 meter away from the DSLAM. There is no splitter or a reglet.

Now, the problem is: Unstable and dropping connection. As I said in the title, connection drops even on 15dB SNR. I read 8dB is the minimum SNR for a stable connection.

Connection won't last a couple minutes on 8dB. And I think Signal attenuation for upload is wrong because after a while (once connection matures) it shows 26-27dB. I think the latter is the real value.

1.png.3638c88c9a5baffafe5c20170ba5ba70.png
I have seen Attainable Speeds above 100MB/s for download and 35MB/s for upload in the first weeks of my VDSL transfer. I was using ADSL2+ before.

ISS won't help because they say my line supports maximum of 46MB/s download. I told them that even on this rate my connection drops and sent them DSL crash reports, no help or resolve. And I believe my line can handle 100Mb/s download speed...But I would be happy with a stable 75Mb/s download too... 

You can see my DSL settings below. I am trying to get stable and maximum speed connection by tampering with these settings, but I have not been successful.

2.png.8cdae045f60871f012d199ed66099720.png

So what are my options here? There is no help on the ISS side. And I am pretty much limited with my modem configuration for the last resort. 

Please also see the DSL disconnect report and DSL performance report below:
Dsl0_disconnect_report_5.12.23.5_B_A60901_Feb_14_19_19_32.zipDsl0_performance_report_5.12.23.5_B_A60901_Feb_15_01_32_16.zip

Thank you in advance for your interest and insights!

14 answers to this question

Have you opened a request for Keenetic TR RD? destek@keenetic.com.tr
You can tell the situation with your line statistics report and self-test.

Also, on what basis did you turn off or on the settings related to sub-technologies? (SRA, G.Vector or etc...) It recognizes these technologies during the first installation and is set to on or off. (Line learning mode)

It recognizes these technologies during the first installation and is set to on or off. (Line learning mode)

Is there an entry in the syslogs related to LCP terminated?(The trouble with Türknet users)
Is the software version 3.7.2 or 3.8.x?

Also, your line attenuation is a bit high.

@PriSonerS61 do you have comments?

Edited by KYTECHNGAMING
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I've reviewed the reports and line values.

First of all, I should point out that your download line attenuation is too much. Depending on this weakening, your line constantly gave crc / fec error.

Interestingly, while your upload attenuation is low, your upload attenuation increases to 25 db after internet commuting. Here it could mean that your line is physically in trouble.

Instead of dealing with the modem, this physical problem should be detected and fixed. How confident are you in the health of the indoor wiring?

I think the first thing to do is this:

You must follow the line by connecting the modem to the box at the entrance of the building.

According to the result here, there are 2 possibilities:

1) Indoor plumbing may be problematic -> If the problem is internal plumbing, you should get help from an electrician and have a new cable pulled.
2) If the problem is not the interior installation, then your job is a little more difficult. Then you should contact your internet service provider and ask them to check the area under their responsibility.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sergeyk said:

Did you try to enable SRA and G.INP?

Yes. But I prefer SRA turned off, because my speed drops to kilobytes in the next hours. Actually last night I have enabled SRA and G.INP and set SNR to 15dB. 

DSL diagnostics 

Connection speed 53927 kbit/s

Fast.com test 7.4 Mbit/s

3 hours ago, KYTECHNGAMING said:

Have you opened a request for Keenetic TR RD? destek@keenetic.com.tr
You can tell the situation with your line statistics report and self-test.

Also, on what basis did you turn off or on the settings related to sub-technologies? (SRA, G.Vector or etc...) It recognizes these technologies during the first installation and is set to on or off. (Line learning mode)

It recognizes these technologies during the first installation and is set to on or off. (Line learning mode)

Is there an entry in the syslogs related to LCP terminated?(The trouble with Türknet users)
Is the software version 3.7.2 or 3.8.x?

Also, your line attenuation is a bit high.

@PriSonerS61 do you have comments?

No, I haven't opened a request. But my DSL crash reports have been sharing with them, I guess? Because I have Line Disconnect Reports and Product Improvement Program enabled.

On the first installation, BITSWAP, SRA, G.INP, G.VECTOR AND UPBO and all the VDSL profiles were enabled. 

I could not see any entry for LCP in the system logs. 

I am on 3.7.2 stable version. 

44 minutes ago, PriSonerS61 said:

Hi, I've reviewed the reports and line values.

First of all, I should point out that your download line attenuation is too much. Depending on this weakening, your line constantly gave crc / fec error.

Interestingly, while your upload attenuation is low, your upload attenuation increases to 25 db after internet commuting. Here it could mean that your line is physically in trouble.

Instead of dealing with the modem, this physical problem should be detected and fixed. How confident are you in the health of the indoor wiring?

I think the first thing to do is this:

You must follow the line by connecting the modem to the box at the entrance of the building.

According to the result here, there are 2 possibilities:

1) Indoor plumbing may be problematic -> If the problem is internal plumbing, you should get help from an electrician and have a new cable pulled.
2) If the problem is not the interior installation, then your job is a little more difficult. Then you should contact your internet service provider and ask them to check the area under their responsibility.

Yes, I pointed TurkNet countless times that my Line Attenuation values are high and so my connection is not stable. At first they sent Turk Telekom team to check what's wrong. I wasn't at home that time and Turk Telekom dude called me and convinced me to agree there is no problem on the Line and Line Attenuation doesn't matter at all. 😂 Senin hat 35 destekliyor falan dedi. Hatta ben ADSLden çıkmamalıymışım falan... I couldn't counter convince him and had to hang it off.

I am quite sure my indoor plumbing is flawless. There is no attachment, no splitter on the cable and it's new. 

Unfortunately it's the second possibility. And they won't do shit.

Ok, I found something. My problem might be due to the software of the modem.
@sergeyk @admin @PriSonerS61 Please check the link:

I also get ton of CRC too.
https://forum.turk.net/t/milyonlarca-crc-hatasi/21199/48

crc.png.b51f66e523214127a845beba837ba4fa.png

We had a test period of about 1.5 months with the service.
Finally, I was going to buy a modem with Broadcom chipset with SNR adjustment.
I guess those who usually have problems with this modem are the ones connected to the Brodcom chipset field cabinet. CRC was very low until firmware 3.6.1.2 because my modem has different chipset. As of 3.7.1, the CRC started to increase too much and there were disconnections. The service gave some test software for CRC and disconnection problem. One of them worked. No matter how many times I said "add these fixes to new updates so that I don't have the same problem in the future", they said they couldn't do it and I had to continue like this. Because there are people like me who have the same problem with the same model devices.

Connection does not drop on TP-Link TD9970v3.
This problem did not exist until the 3.6.1.2 software. The problem occured as of 3.7.1. People who connect to Broadcom chipset field cabinets have often experienced this problem.

https://forum.turk.net/t/milyonlarca-crc-hatasi/21199/50

ndm_dsl-statistics (1).csv

Frantic from forum.turk.net provided me the test firmware and the screenshots below that how the firmware affected his connection. I also began using the test DMT firmware today. I will see how it goes with my device and line.

Reports from Frantic (not mine)
Version 3.6.12

- No connection drop or much CRC

image.thumb.png.0e89f80214cd4bdc66f90add5e257ed8.png

Version 3.7.2
- Intense CRC, connection drops

image.thumb.png.4b259699fd20ed15d12c7ae16574e22a.png

Version 3.7.2 DMT TEST firmware
- Low CRC but not perfect!

image.thumb.png.14696c21314a0d5cd68359dc679cab5d.png

Can we agree this is a common problem that occured after 3.7 version for KN-2410 users connected to Broadcom chipset VDSL cabinet? 

Please fix it and include it in the next stable versions. Thank you! 

Edited by Cem

58 minutes ago, Cem said:

Frantic from forum.turk.net provided me the test firmware and the screenshots below that how the firmware affected his connection. I also began using the test DMT firmware today. I will see how it goes with my device and line.

Reports from Frantic (not mine)
Version 3.6.12

- No connection drop or much CRC

image.thumb.png.0e89f80214cd4bdc66f90add5e257ed8.png

Version 3.7.2
- Intense CRC, connection drops

image.thumb.png.4b259699fd20ed15d12c7ae16574e22a.png

Version 3.7.2 DMT TEST firmware
- Low CRC but not perfect!

image.thumb.png.14696c21314a0d5cd68359dc679cab5d.png

Can we agree this is a common problem that occured after 3.7 version for KN-2410 users connected to Broadcom chipset VDSL cabinet? 

Please fix it and include it in the next stable versions. Thank you! 

yes my Hero dsl already disconnected and give crc errors. i'm used broadcom chipset vdsl port.

Please fix this problem on next fw versions. Thank you

17 hours ago, Cem said:

This is the custom firmware he was given from the Keenetic service, which he claims "1.5 months of work."

KN-2410_custom_3_07.C.2.0-1_firmware_3.bin 24.88 MB · 2 downloads

17 hours in... Unusable internet connection. Does not work for me.

Attaching CRC / FEC report below.

20.02.22_ndm_dsl-statistics.csv

Edited by Cem

My problem is after 3.7 update download and upload speed very low like 1mbit when first boot or restart and SNR change. It's unstable. But if I keep restart or change SNR like from Auto to 8db or opposite few times I'm getting the right speed. There's no connection drop or very high CRC errors. My correct line values are below in auto SNR. If the problem is in software please fix it.

1.png.c0abc72ddbf8cfa99020d641bc356985.png

Keenetic Turkey service told me adjust my DSL configuration like below and I did.
?name=inline-10287291.png

12 hours in and you can see the FEC / CRC values...

image.png.e45b200ac7925a09db1267733ed2b884.png

Connection did not drop but speed decreased dramatically in the meantime -- and there was not really a internet usage.

image.png.1062644a613a5d794692b3560a7046b3.png

Any updates on this issue @admin @sergeyk?

Edited by Cem