Reset, Wizard: Downgrade forced?

rAcKShen

Question

I am in the channel Dev and had 3.8 Alpha 8 installed. When I went for a Reset via the Web interface, the initial Wizard pops up again. When I go through the wizard, I was forced to install the latest update, on the channel Main: 3.7.4. Is this intended?

I use the following path right now which feels like a workaround: When the wizard pops up, I hit the button ‘Run Wizard’. Then, I get a page with the modes. There is a button ‘Exit Wizard’. When I go for that, I am not forced to downgrade. However, many settings (like the mode and the recommended systems components are not set then).

6 answers to this question

On 4/26/2022 at 12:09 PM, rAcKShen said:

I am in the channel Dev and had 3.8 Alpha 8 installed. When I went for a Reset via the Web interface, the initial Wizard pops up again. When I go through the wizard, I was forced to install the latest update, on the channel Main: 3.7.4. Is this intended?

I use the following path right now which feels like a workaround: When the wizard pops up, I hit the button ‘Run Wizard’. Then, I get a page with the modes. There is a button ‘Exit Wizard’. When I go for that, I am not forced to downgrade. However, many settings (like the mode and the recommended systems components are not set then).

Yes, the wizard forces the installation of a latest version from the stable channel.

SSH --> more flash:/default-config  --> save .txt --> edit page down --> write code --> load startup-config == reset + settings load :)   ?

components
        auto-update channel draft
Something like this came to my mind, and I was using this kind of method some times.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:02 PM, Infy said:

the wizard forces the installation of a latest version from the stable channel

OK. That is bad because – with my workaround above – several things are not set as expected by Keenetic support. That again can be workedaround with the trick of Ahmed. Thanks for that! However, I want to test the wizard actually, with the latest release (because of the new DS-Lite support). I cannot do that. If possible, that choice should be reconsidered. Never saw a downgrade with other vendors because of resetting and using a wizard. Was very unexpected. So unexpected, I forgot and got downgraded several times by now. 🤪

• Thanks 1

В 09.08.2022 в 15:44, rAcKShen сказал:

Never saw a downgrade with other vendors because of resetting and using a wizard.

We are working on this issue. I can't say for sure, but there will probably be an option in the setup wizard to skip the "downgrade" to stable firmware.

when you exit the wizard, it stays in the version it should be.

I did not understand why an experienced person is so stuck in this situation in the installation with the wizard. Or I don't quite understand what you want to say.

Could it be a solution to remove the initial wizard component?

13 hours ago, KYTECHNGAMING said:

I did not understand why an experienced person is so stuck in this situation in the installation with the wizard.

That is easy to explain: When you go through the wizard, you cannot deny it, it just happens. So it happened to me on the first time. I am sure that happens everyone who is not on the stable release but resets his device. Back then, I am not sure, I understood the downgrade is related to the wizard. First, I thought, the wizard is just re-installing some components as it always does. So I trapped into this a second time later. And then, I trapped into this a third time because it is so unusual and I forgot about it. So, my experience is actually the problem here: My expectation is still that this should not happen. So I placed a post-it on the device. Perhaps that helps next time.

There is a second issue: When the device starts up, you cannot deny the wizard, the first step is always within the wizard. At least the wording is giving that impression. Only, only, only on page two of the wizard (not earlier, not later) I am able to exit the wizard. I had to find that button. I missed that several times, too.

There is a third issue: 3.9 Alpha adds a new connection setup (DS-Lite with AFTR), which is needed here for one of my ISPs. So, I was curious to test the wizard how it is handled there. And then, at the end, I get downgraded to a version which does not give me access to that ISP. So, actually, I am wrong in my previous prost; I could test the wizard. Just get a bit of additional work afterwards.

If Keenetic wants to force an update, OK. But then please on the branch were I left. Even better: If I am on a non-stable (faster) branch, ask whether I want to continue on that branch, or whether I want to go for one of the slower branches.

• Upvote 1