KN-2011 Omni DSL - Poor VDSL Upload Speed

classicwow

Question

I got a KN-2011 Omni DSL device running version 3.8.4.

I tried to use it on Vodafone VDSL line, auto settings finds correct download speed but upload speed is stuck at around 1000kbps which should be around 6000kbps.

Vodafone H300S modem - router uses different SNR settings for download and upload, KN-2011 is using a fixed SNR setting for both.

I tried to lower SNR to 7 on KN-2011 but it fails to establish a DSL connection. When i set it SNR 9 or above line speed drops too much.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Please check the images below.

vodafone-h300s.jpg

kn-2011-omni-dsl.jpg

12 answers to this question

13 hours ago, classicwow said:

I got a KN-2011 Omni DSL device running version 3.8.4.

I tried to use it on Vodafone VDSL line, auto settings finds correct download speed but upload speed is stuck at around 1000kbps which should be around 6000kbps.

Vodafone H300S modem - router uses different SNR settings for download and upload, KN-2011 is using a fixed SNR setting for both.

I tried to lower SNR to 7 on KN-2011 but it fails to establish a DSL connection. When i set it SNR 9 or above line speed drops too much.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Please check the images below.

vodafone-h300s.jpg

kn-2011-omni-dsl.jpg

Hi, from the screenshots you show, it does not seem that your line is regular since you are connected in VDSL2, which should start from at least 30m, but I see that you have a lot of noise in the line that surely lowers the carrier beyond the minimum edictal of 30mega , how far are you from the road connection? (FTTC)
As for the low upload, try to disable (Uncheck) the UPBO function at -> "DSL settings" -> "Additional line settings" on Keenetic then turn off and on, and double check the upload.

Giornali.txt

Edited by PasKy

1 hour ago, classicwow said:

Not far, 50 meters max.

Disabled UPBO but nothing changed.

Thing is if line quality was bad that would effect Vodafone's router too but it is working without a problem...

... for only 50Mt, not even their modem can give you the 30 megs, which at that distance in the absence of crosstalk and disturbances related to the distance that in your case do not exist you should have, before fiddling with modems, you should (advice) check the cables and junctions of your telephone system, remove any filters applied which are only for the ADSL and ADSL2 versions not for VDSL-VDSL2, remove any oxidation at the junctions using a simple deoxidizing spray for electrical contacts, if the home and equipped with an anti-theft then you will have to call a technician for a small modification to the connected anti-theft system, because although it is true that the MediaTek chipsets do not excel in performance on difficult lines (Which is not your case given the short distance from the cabinet!), they come with many software variables to get a good compromise.
In the meantime I'll post you an image of my VDSL configuration which is working correctly.

cat.png

Edited by PasKy
  • Thanks 1

My contract with Vodafone is 24Mbps download and 6Mbps upload and their device is delivering these speeds. Line's max capacity is irrelevant at this point.

It is obvious that if there was something wrong with the line their modem / router also shouldn't work.

My guess is there's incompatibility with the ISP's devices and KN-2011. I tried all combinations and your suggestion above all of them failed. I even tried the alpha firmware.

7 hours ago, classicwow said:

My contract with Vodafone is 24Mbps download and 6Mbps upload and their device is delivering these speeds. Line's max capacity is irrelevant at this point.

It is obvious that if there was something wrong with the line their modem / router also shouldn't work.

My guess is there's incompatibility with the ISP's devices and KN-2011. I tried all combinations and your suggestion above all of them failed. I even tried the alpha firmware.

... there are no "A" and "B" series chipsets, all must for obvious reasons comply with the International rules of compliance with the IEE, ITU and other bodies responsible for specifications, which are universally adopted. It is true that your modem connects according to your contractual basis with the ISP, but often if not always the ISPs also implement Remote Management on their modems, a mechanism that allows your ISP to remotely control your modem. If the Keenetic modem gives you a line drop with a noise of 46DBI, in normal conditions on traditional ADSL +, I would have told you that nothing can be done because you are about 5km from the control unit, but at 50 meters something is wrong. for the right way in your system, even if their modem goes according to the contractual stipulations, who knows what "Magheggio" (alchemy!) they did to give you the correct values. Which if you have time to waste and a minimum of knowledge of applicable values you can have fun trying to get the same results.

Edited by PasKy

On 8/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, Ahmed Ensar said:

mahmut, bende de buna benzer sorun olmuştu önceleri. upbo-kl0 dmt olduğu fw isteyip deneyebilirsin belki ondandır. Bende var fakat eski sürüm olduğu için cli açılmayabilir. image.png.67c1e45b75f192f076fa1f4575ce23de.png

He reported that he returned the device because he could not set it up to the same speed as the modem provided by the ISP.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, PasKy said:

... there are no "A" and "B" series chipsets, all must for obvious reasons comply with the International rules of compliance with the IEE, ITU and other bodies responsible for specifications, which are universally adopted

Just dropping by to say that this is entirely false. In my country, due to ISP equipment, broadcom chipsets  always deliver the highest speeds and signal rates compared any other chipset, modern or not. If you are not using a broadcom chipset based customer device, you are basically hindering yourself here for xdsl services.

... when certain statements are made I always wonder if we read the specifications issued by the official bodies in charge (prepared by almost all countries to avoid the chaos of specifications and compatibility at a global level, and so at the moment) obviously, it is possible and I believe that Broadcom chips have an edge, each manufacturer can add to the specifications, further possibilities for improving the product, I myself have had the opportunity to test their good grip on particularly difficult lines, this does not mean that all chips have algorithms, or narrow implementations like Broadcom, but Standard implementations must be there if you want to sell Chips to equipment manufacturers, otherwise they might not even buy your Chips due to lack of specifications. So why do you say it's all fake?

Edited by PasKy

On 2/6/2024 at 6:05 PM, PasKy said:

... when certain statements are made I always wonder if we read the specifications issued by the official bodies in charge (prepared by almost all countries to avoid the chaos of specifications and compatibility at a global level, and so at the moment) obviously, it is possible and I believe that Broadcom chips have an edge, each manufacturer can add to the specifications, further possibilities for improving the product, I myself have had the opportunity to test their good grip on particularly difficult lines, this does not mean that all chips have algorithms, or narrow implementations like Broadcom, but Standard implementations must be there if you want to sell Chips to equipment manufacturers, otherwise they might not even buy your Chips due to lack of specifications. So why do you say it's all fake?

I have Keenetic Omni dsl and just bought Hopper Dsl.

These two Keenetic connect VDSL2 at 88Mbit (8 SNR)  on a healthy line. While they have the same xdsl chipset, Hopper tends to sync a bit lower compared to Omni.

In comparison to those, I have also two Zyxel modem routers with Broadcom chipset they always sync the same line at 99Mbit (8 SNR) which is the limit for profile17a.

There is sadly a factor of VDSL2 CPE chipset to be "more" compatible with the whatever the FTTC cabinet is running. That's is the case in my country.

I'm adding the screenshot from Hopper DSL. I'm going to add one from Zyxel later on.

https://ibb.co/0MppXGZ

And the Zyxel below. 100MBit sync.

https://ibb.co/QYbNrf0

I do expect Keenetic engineers to look into this and try to figure out how does Broadcom can sync exceptionally better than  Econet and try to improve it. Bcs this behavior is widespread in my country and valid for many VDSL2 users.

Edited by fatihso